Two weeks ago, I was awarded another Liebster Award from fellow blogger, Rebecca. She is the creator of Taking Up Room, a blog where reviews for movies and books can be found. Rebecca also hosts blogathons that I have had the joy of participating in. If you want to learn more about her blogging work, check out her site at this link:
Thank you, Rebecca, for giving me this nomination! I appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Before I start this award post, I need to list the official rules, which are:
- Thank the nominator in your award post.
- Place the award logo somewhere on your blog.
- You must state up to 11 facts about yourself.
- Complete the questions that your nominator provided.
- Nominate as many bloggers as you’d like (11 is the maximum).
- Ask your nominees a series of questions (11 is the maximum).
1. I have been on an elephant ride.
2. I saved a family member’s life.
3. I’ve met a famous athlete.
4. I have never seen anything from the filmographies of Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris.
5. I have reviewed almost 200 films!
6. One of my family members was in the military.
7. Faberge eggs are a memento that I have loved for years.
8. Anastasia (1997), one of my favorite movies, inspired me to learn more about the Romanov family.
9. I don’t have any major food allergies.
10. I have never dyed my hair.
11. A place that has been on my bucket list is Golf N’ Stuff in Norwalk, California (where The Karate Kid was filmed).
- Would you rather star in films or work behind the scenes?
What compels me to watch a movie is the story. Even when I review a film on my blog, I judge the story itself by how well the script was written. Writing has always been a passion of mine, which is one of the reasons why I started 18 Cinema Lane. For these reasons, I would choose to write movies rather than star in them.
2. What’s the best movie you’ve seen so far this year? The worst?
The best movie I’ve seen this year, so far, is one that I reviewed recently. That is The Boy Who Could Fly! As I said in my review, I was surprised by how well the film aged. It’s a hidden gem that I’m thankful to have discovered! For the worst movie I’ve seen this year, so far, that is still Marriage on the Rocks. This is another film I reviewed on my blog. One of the worst parts about it is the film’s one-sided view of marriage and divorce. Personally, it made me feel uncomfortable.
3. Where would you most like to go when things fully open up again?
In several weeks, I’ll be taking an out-of-state trip. But to answer the question, it really all depends what season the world will be fully open in. If it’s in a warmer season, I might go to an outdoor venue. However, if the season is colder, that venue will likely be indoors.
4. Do you think your blog or blogging style has changed since you started? How?
After reading some of my earlier reviews, I’ve noticed how I used to provide simpler explanations for what I liked and didn’t like about a film. In my review of The Dark Knight, I only wrote two sentences about how I liked the pace. One of my newer reviews, for Alphaville, features a paragraph about how I liked the film’s cinematography.
5. What’s a skill you don’t have but wish you did?
For this question, I’ll say swimming and roller skating. While I wouldn’t consider myself a terrible swimmer, I don’t feel I’m as strong as I’d like to be. As for roller skating, I’ve always wanted to master this skill, but was never given the opportunity.
6. How much did you write before you became a blogger, and was it something that you enjoyed?
As I mentioned in answer number one, writing has always been a passion of mine. However, I didn’t often have the opportunity to write for myself. Blogging provides an excuse to do just that.
7. What’s one thing you wish current movies had more of? Less of?
More of: Whenever there is a male character with longer hair, I never see them put their hair up in a pony-tail or a “man bun”. This is something I’ve not only noticed in recent years, but also as I’ve watched and reviewed more films. I’d like to see more male characters with longer hair put their hair up.
Less of: This has more to do with movie marketing than the movies themselves. Personally, I’m tired of seeing posters with most of the film’s content thrown up in one image. Bigger blockbusters usually adopt this style, especially those from Disney. I’ll include the poster of Loves Takes Flight to serve as an example for this type of poster. I wish movie studios moved away from this type of movie poster and created ones that looked more like art.
8. Is there a character or film that you think actually deserves a remake or reboot?
I think a remake of Girls Just Want to Have Fun would be interesting! It could provide a reflection of how the world of dance has changed since the original film’s release.
9. Now that we’re at the height of summer (unless you live Down Under, of course), what’s your cold beverage of choice?
I’ve been drinking Pure Leaf raspberry tea lately. Therefore, I’ll chose this beverage for my answer.
10. You’ve been granted the ability to teleport into any video game or mobile app. Where are you going to go?
For as long as I could remember, I have always wanted to play a video game as my favorite character. But it is not often possible for me to do so. One example is the Game Boy Advance game for Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Kida is my favorite Disney princess. Unfortunately, the game doesn’t give me the option to choose which character I want to play as. So, I’d like to teleport to this game so I could play as my favorite member of Atlantean royalty!
11. You’re standing in front of the replicator on the Starship Enterprise. What do you ask for first?
I’d definitely ask to release the Tim Pope cut of The Crow: City of Angels! I don’t watch Star Trek, so I’m not sure if the Starship Enterprise would be able to make this happen. However, if the Snyder cut of Justice League is going to be released, anything is possible.
1. Writingfest from Novel Writing Festival
2. Maddy from Maddy Loves Her Classic Films
3. Nick from A Brightonian Writer
4. Victoria from Paintings and Books
5. Todd from Movies, Movies, Movies
6. The Duck and Me from The Duck in…side
7. Joe from Joe Baker – Film Reviews
8. Bubbawheat from Flights, Tights, & Movie Nights
9. Nina from Films: Uncharted – EIF
10. K from K at the Movies
11. Drew from Drew’s Movies Reviews
1. What is your most unpopular movie related opinion?
2. Which sport would you like to see receive Olympic status?
3. Is there a book you’ve read recently that you’d like to recommend to someone? If so, what is it?
4. What is a TV episode that you think serves as “filler”?
5. How do you think your favorite character would spent their time during the Coronavirus quarantine?
6. Has your favorite movie become a Broadway musical? If not, would you want this to happen?
7. Do you cook? If so, what was the last meal you made?
8. What is something you’re looking forward to in 2021?
9. Which song is the most recent one you’ve heard?
10. Have you participated in blogathons? If so, which one has been your favorite?
11. Is there a blogging goal or milestone you’ve reached? If so, what is it?
Have fun at the movies!